Traffic accidents are a constant threat to motorcyclists. Due to the open nature of these vehicles, bikers must be aware of their surroundings at all times. This includes knowing what behaviors to watch out for as you travel the roads. Sometimes things that sound simple can lead to big problems. Here are six common causes of motorcycle accidents.
- Unsafe lane change: A car or truck driver changes lanes without signalling or checking their blind spot.
- Open car doors: The driver of a parked car opens their door into the path of a motorcycle.
- Speeding: The faster a vehicle is going, the less time the driver has to notice and react. This causes numerous accidents between cars but is even more dangerous to motorcyclists due to the size of their bikes.
- Driving under the influence: When a motorist causes a motorcycle accident due to driving while intoxicated, there may be both civil and criminal liability.
- Sudden stops: Obstacles in the road or inattention can cause drivers to make sudden stops. Sometimes it’s impossible to avoid a collision, even when you’ve maintained a safe following distance. These types of motorcycle accidents can lead to serious injury or even death.
- Inexperienced drivers: Lack of experience increases the likelihood of making unsafe choices while driving. This endangers other people on the road, including bikers.
Cristin Uricchio is an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in Charleston. Uricchio Law Firm has a history of successfully representing bikers who have been injured in all types of accidents. If you’re looking for a motorcycle accident lawyer in Charleston, SC, contact us today for a consultation.